26 January, 2014

Rejection

I just received my first rejection. I find it easier to take than the acceptance of my other story. Strange, I know, but I was always prepared for the rejection, even as I hoped for the acceptance. Rejection is just part of the process, and I'm not bothered by it. It was a short story for another anthology and I imagine now I'll expand on it and submit it as a novella. At some point. I have other projects I want to focus on now.

I think the problem with acceptance is how people react to it. Strangers have reacted to the news better than my family has. It's disheartening when your own mother makes you feel miserable about your success, and has to mention that one time she wrote a story from her childhood and was published in a magazine.

Strange as it seems, the rejection helps. I'm not sure I could explain it if I tried. So I won't. I am happy, though. I am happy with my writing. I am happy with my progress. I am happy with my acceptance. I am happy with my rejection.

Now to work on some more short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment